A commercial center for the surrounding area and a highway junction, Quemado is the Spanish word for "burned." At an altitude of almost 7,000 feet, the area receives many lightning strikes during summer thunderstorms at the famous Ligntning Field.
Quemado is on US highway 60 at the junction of NM highways 32 and 36/117. South on highway 32 is the popular Quemado Lake.
- Largo Motel. 575/773-4686
- Largo Cafe. 575/773-4686
- The Country Store: groceries. 575/773-4545
- J&Y Auto Service: 24-hour gas/diesel. 575/773-4775
- Laundromat (at Largo Motel)
- Ranger Station (on US 36 just north of US 60). 575/773-4678
- Rito Quemado Convenience Store and Gas Station: 24-hour gas/diesel 575/773-4664
- Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 575/773-4631
- U.S. Post Office, 575/773-4696
Across from the Quemado post office, you'll find this unique tree made of antlers.