Why (when) use a command line instead of a GUI?
- Flexibility: menus limited, command line almost
- Time: keeping hands on keyboard vs.
moving hand to mouse/
moving mouse and clicking/
moving hand back to keyboard
- Can launch windows from command line:
just as window manager menus do.
Also, pass arguments:
netscape www.svlug.org &
to avoid having to click and type after Netscape opens.
- Ease of use: yes! Needs some memorization and/or
a reference book, card, etc.
- Best for heavy users: learning curve, but paid back
many times over.